Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can'

I live in AZ. Until recently I was making the payments online. Now I am 2 mortgage payments behind. Unfortunately I can't communicate with the lender about the terms of the loan because I'm not on the account, only my mother was. The lender somehow got my cell phone # and they've been calling me 8+ times a day. I'm worried that if I answer their call that they'll ask about Mom and I would have to tell them she passed away (maybe they already know?). In that case, wouldn't they make me refinance the loan under my name? That's something I definitely am not qualified for right now.



What's worse is that I invested a lot of time and money to license this house as an Assisted Living Home, and I would hate to lose my business as well. If I were able to have residents move in immediately I would be able to pay the mortgage, but so far I am not having any luck. Can somebody please give me helpful advice? Should I stop ignoring the lender's calls? If so, what should I say?



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

where i live once a person dies the morgage is automatically payed off



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

The mortgage is not automatically paid off. House is an asset of your mother's estate and mortgage is a liability of the estate. Beyond that, I don't really know what to tell you. I think they probably would make you refinance in your name.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

Stop hiding from them and tell them the truth, you only making matters worse!!!! Worst of it is you could lose everything. Be honest with them and see what you can work out.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

why cant you sell, if mom is gone she must have left a will, if not and she passed intestate(no will) you need to consult an attorney and go through probate, then depending upon what she did or didnt do someone will get the house, and that person would be able to sell, why the drag time, you need to speak with an attorney before the bank starts foreclosure.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

I can help you. Are you pretty locked into what you're doing or are you keeping your options open? Email me



shop4rewards@sbcglobal.net



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

I think you should answer them. The worst thing would be to find yourself in a lot of debt that you don't know about because you won't talk to them. You should just be honest with them. It could be a very bad situation if you start lying to them. And they will definitely find out that your mother died, so don't try to lie about that to them.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

Dont ignore them at all. Be very up front and honest with them, and you might be able to work something out with them. Lenders do not like to let houses go into foreclosures. Good Luck and sorry to hear about your mom.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.



You can't continue to duck the calls--they can put it in foreclosure.



You say you inherited the house--how? Was it because of the way it was titled (joint tenancy, right of survivorship or what?) or was it via a will? If a will, was it probated? Doesn't sound like it could be or the lender would know your mother is dead.



Did she have no other assets? No life insurance or such to pay her debts?



I am unclear how you were able to license the house if it was not in your name--so was it just the mortgage that was in your mother's name? I think you are going to have no choice but to speak with a real estate attorney. You can use the county bar referral for about $50 you get 30 minutes with an appropriate attorney if you're in Maricopa County. Get ALL your paperwork in order and write out a basic statement because 30 minutes will NOT be enough time to sort this out and you don't have a second to waste. You will get an idea of what your rights and obligations are and if the attorney you speak with is the one to hire.



Do you have your own place? You may want to consider selling or renting it out (yes I know the market is depressed) and moving into the home as it's license for care and seeing if you can by not having other living expenses catch up the mortgage and get some clients. You may be able to sell the home as the %26quot;business%26quot; of assisted living--especially to an investor.



You want to get ahold of the %26quot;loss mitigation department%26quot; of the mortgage company and see how they will work with you--could end up with a short sale. You can explain that you were sufficiently upset over your mother's death that you just didn't take calls. What can you do NOW to make this all right.



If your home is licensed, do you have qualified staff yet or not? You may be able to get a partner--provide you with ready made staff and some funds and you make a go of the business. You have options, but ignoring the business that OWNS the home for all practical purposes (that lien trumps everything) is not an option.



Good luck.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

you must immediately communicate that mother passed away. do not speak to them til after lawyer is retained. then ask they speak with attorney. someone must be handling her estate. you must get to a lawyer immediately. life insurance? does lender know this is commercial and not residential....you must, i repeat get excellent probate/estate/land attorney now, or you will lose everything.



You must seek legal counsel now. this is not somethig that can wait....



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

For starters, answer the mortgage companies phone calls. If they can call you, they can talk to you. You may need to sell it, or she may have had insurance on the mortgage to cover her death. If not, they may be willing to work with you. You never know until you try.



See if you can get a small business loan for the assisted living facility. If not, you may HAVE to sell. They can foreclose, but they shouldnt be able to come after you since your name wasn't on the mortgage- but they can go after the estate. Any money in her bank accounts or whatever can be sought after.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

Ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. Do you have power of attorney for your mom? If so you have legal right to her account information if you provide the mortgage company with the documentation. If you continue not to make payments they will foreclose and it will not matter if your mom has died. I would talk to a lawyer and find out what your options are.



My mom passed away. She left me a house, loan in her name. Can't afford the mortgage, can't sell, what to do?

60 days late is standard for a mortgage lender to start foreclosure process. If you have good credit, you may be able to qualify for 100% financing and ask the lender for a short payoff. You would ask the lender to take less than what is owed since the home does not hold the value. It would be better for them to take what the home is worth rather than it go to auction and they would make even less. Hope this gives you a possible option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive