Wednesday, May 26, 2010

If I want to file a complaint against a mortgage broker, how do I proceed?

I applied for a loan with a mortgage broker but I did not take it as I got a better rate elsewhere. I was charged $810 ($790 for processing + $20 for credit report.) for getting the loan approved (conditionally). Appraisal was not done, so I wasn't charged for that. I was forced to give a check for $810 and the check has already been cashed. It hurts to pay so much money for a loan that I did not take. How do I get my money back? Is this a RESPA violation? Who do I file a compaint with? Please advice.



PS: I live in California and the loan is 80/15/5 (piggyback). They gave me a good faith estimate ($495 for 80%loan + $295 for 20% loan)



If I want to file a complaint against a mortgage broker, how do I proceed?

If you want to file a complaint against a mortgage broker in California, First thing to do is Contact the DRE (Dept. of Real Estate) Dre.ca.gov



If I want to file a complaint against a mortgage broker, how do I proceed?

Contact HR or their supervisor. See if they have a website so that you can let others know how you felt after doing business with this particular individual.



If I want to file a complaint against a mortgage broker, how do I proceed?

WOW! RESPA violation!!!! Loan officers are not supposed to be charging fees like that if the loan has not closed. The only allowable charges are 3rd party fees i.e. appraisal, credit...



Go to this website http://www.corp.ca.gov/ and you should be able to file a complaint with the California Department of Corporations. I believe that they are the authority that oversees lending practices in the state. If not, they will be able to give you a number to the department that is responsible.



That broker will pay BIG time for that. In Nevada, it's illegal for us (I'm a personal mortgage consultant) to charge fees like that up front. Even application fees have been eliminated. Fact of the matter is, the work was never completed SO, they aren't allowed to charge you for it.



Let me know if you would like more info. By the way, next time you do a loan, go to someone who is a member of the National Association of Responsible Loan Officers. They adhere to a strict code of ethics. www.narlo.com is their website. I am a member and I also can do loans in California in case you want a comparison point for the lender you did decide on.



Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive